Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
The Cambridge Chronicle was founded in 1762 as a weekly 4-page publication which supported Tory principles and cost twopence halfpenny, the same price as the rival Tory paper, the Cambridge Journal. The Chronicle absorbed the Journal in 1766.
It was owned and published for many years by Francis Hodson who died in 1812. His son James Hodson continued to run the paper until 1832.
By 1851 it was owned by William Simpson, B.A. and Charles Wharton Naylor. Simpson came from Kendal and acted as editor while Naylor was a printer and publisher originally from London. The Chronicle boasted a good circulation throughout Cambridgeshire and the neighbouring counties. It still advocated Conservative principles, supported protectionism and adhered to the tenets of the Established Church.
In 1934 the Cambridge Chronicle merged with the Cambridge Independent Press to become the CambridgeIndependent Press and Chronicle. In 1981 it became the Cambridge Weekly News.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1813–48 Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- 1831–1900 Cambridge Chronicle and University Journal, Isle of Ely Herald and Huntingdonshire Gazette
This newspaper is published by Reach PLC in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Jan 22, 2013 . The latest issues were added in Feb 19, 2017.