Carlisle’ first newspaper, the Carlisle Journal, was founded in 1798 by Francis Jollie. A liberal weekly, it advocated civil and religious liberty and free political comment. When Jollie died the business was carried on by his three sons and later by his daughter in law Margaret until 1831, when she took on a partner in James Steel. Steel was from a poor weaving background, but had worked for several local papers before becoming involved in the Journal. The partnership was dissolved in 1836 and James Steel assumed sole proprietorship.
Steel became an influential man in Carlisle and was twice elected Mayor. As editor of the paper, he promoted his interest in public progress and the importance of education for the working man and as such was Vice-President of the Mechanics Institute. On his death in 1851, control of the paper passed to his sons and remained in the family.
A notable columnist for the Journal was the radical William Farish. Farish, like James Steel, came from a local weaving background and, self-educated, had become an important figure in the provincial press, writing for the Cheshire Observer, Chester Chronicle and the Carlisle Journal on topics such as anti-slavery and Irish Home Rule.
The Carlisle Journal eventually merged with the Cumberland News in 1968.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1801–1914 The Carlisle Journal
- 1833–66 The Carlisle Journal
This newspaper is published by CN Group Ltd in Carlisle, Cumberland, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Apr 27, 2013 . The latest issues were added in Jan 21, 2019.