The Carlisle Patriot was established in 1815. Its first editor was Robert Perring from Devon. The paper took a Conservative stance, supporting landed interests but also commercial and manufacturing interests and the Established Church. It was patronised by the Lowther family, the Earls of Lonsdale.
Perring left the paper, but returned in 1847 and is described in the 1851 Census as a newspaper editor, proprietor and publisher employing 14 men. His son Henry was sub-editor.
In 1865, the Patriot was sold by the Perrings to the Carlisle Conservative Newspaper Company which appointed John Burgess as editor in 1868. Burgess was to remain in the post for 35 years until his death in 1903, when his son, Robert Nelson Burgess took over.
In 1910 the Patriot was amalgamated with the East Cumberland News (established 1883) to become the Cumberland News.
For this newspaper, we have the following titles in, or planned for, our digital archive:
- 1816–17 The Patriot, or, Carlisle and Cumberland Advertiser
- 1817–97 The Carlisle Patriot
This newspaper is published by CN Group Ltd in Carlisle, Cumberland, England. It was digitised and first made available on the British Newspaper Archive in Jan 5, 2013 . The latest issues were added in Sep 3, 2021 13 days ago.